What's New - NEO Pro 8.03 Build 8150 / 8151 beta - 13 October 2020
||Applies to NEO Pro 8.03
This describes the changes in the following release:
Version: 8.03 Build 8150 beta (x86 for 32 bit Outlook)
Version: 8.03 Build 8151 beta (x64 for 64 bit Outlook)
Released: 13 October 2020
For a listing of what is changed in this build version, please see
NEO Pro 8 moves from Btrieve to SQL
NEO Pro 8 introduces a new, modern SQL based database system for NEO's catalog. After migrating to NEO Pro 8, the Actian Btrieve 12 product is not needed anymore (and if so required can be uninstalled). The new database system is not requiring a separate license so the license of NEO Pro suffices to run the product.
What's new in this build 8150/8151:
New Features of NEO Pro 8
- Introduction of the new SQL based database system for NEO's catalog.
After starting NEO Pro 8 for first time, the Btrieve 12 database is migrated to the new SQL format; after this NEO Pro will force a restart followed by a rebuild of the catalog. Without this rebuild the new catalog cannot be used. Make sure to allow sufficient time to run the rebuild of the catalog. For this first migration NEO Pro 8 needs the Btrieve database engine - thereafter, Btrieve 12 will not be used anymore by NEO Pro 8.
NEO Pro 8 is not changing the Btrieve 12 database files used by NEO Pro 7. As long as the Btrieve 12 product has not been uninstalled, NEO Pro 7 can be used in parallel to (but not at the same time as) NEO Pro 8.
- The new database system of NEO Pro 8 makes the product ready for the decades ahead.
- Rebuilding of the catalog and searches are, depending on exact machine configurations, significantly faster (40% - 60% faster from the tests done on different systems).
- Native 64 bit SQL configuration - no further need of the specially developed interface file to link 64bit NEO Pro to 32bit Btrieve.
New Features in this build
- Migration of Btrieve catalog at first startup can now be cancelled in case of problems with the Btrieve system; a new catalog will then be created
- Option for Full Logging now includes more regular logging as well for better diagnostics; contact firstname.lastname@example.org to enable Full Logging in case of specific errors
- Occasionally creating or rebuilding the catalog failed with an Access Violation error; this has been resolved
- Changing preview pane to different position crashed NEO Pro; this has been resolved.
- Outlook can now start NEO Pro 8 and close the program if so configured in NEO's options
- Catalog migration did not migrate settings for Automatic Bulk Mail assignment; this has been resolved.
- Several changes to further reduce occurrences of Access Violation and Assertion errors
- Emptying a folder from within NEO Pro is not always resetting the folder count correctly
- Backup and restore function of NEO Pro is not yet functioning
- Delete catalog feature is not yet removing the new catalog file
Please note: this NEO Pro 8.03 build 8150/8151 is a beta release - please report back issues you are having with the new features listed above. Additional beta builds might be released over the coming weeks.
Additional information on this release
Click here for full details of what's new in the last major release NEO Pro 7.
NEO Pro 8.0 release history (build 8xx0 for x86 (32 bit) Outlook / build 8xx1 for x64 (64 bit) Outlook)
NEO Pro 8.0 Build 809x (21 September 2020) - first release
- T1234 - What's New - NEO Pro 8.0 Build 809x (21 September 2020)
- T1236 - What's New - NEO Pro 8.0 Build 813x (27 September 2020)
Last updated: 13 October 2020